Candy cane beets star in Candy Cane Beet Salad with Blue Cheese & Bacon, which also calls for red onions and red leaf lettuce. (Serves 4)
- 1 lb candy cane beets
- ¼ c. red onions, julienned
- 4 c. red leaf lettuce, washed and sliced
- 2 Tbsp walnuts, minced salted and toasted
- Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking in pan
- 3 tsp honey
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Minced parsley, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ c. crumbled blue cheese, optional
- Several strips of bacon to your liking, sliced into lardons, optional
- Preparing the vinaigrette for the salad, first take the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, honey, and dijon mustard and whisk until fully combined. Then slowly whisk in the extra virgin olive oil until fully emulsified.
- Peel the candy cane beets then, using a mandoline or sharp knife, shave the beets into paper thin slices.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the shaved beets, julienned onions, and red leaf lettuce.
- Pour some of the dressing on the edge of the bowl and let it drip into the salad, then mix the salad with the vinaigrette.
- For final touches sprinkle, parsley on top and serve either in a salad bowl or place onto a plate.
Optional: Take a medium sized pan and place it on the stove. Pour a tablespoon of oil into the pan and heat to medium high, render and cook off the bacon. Once cooked, place on a plate with a paper towel on top and place to the side. Top salad with a dash of blue cheese and bacon.