On the topic of spinach, you’ll love it in Creamed Spinach and Purple Kale Casserole. This dish takes on the color of royalty while paprika adds smokiness to the greens. Parmesan zips in some flavor while parsley freshens up the cream sauce!
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp onions, brunoise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 large bunch of kale, rinsed
- 1 large bunch of spinach, rinsed
- 1 c. + Garnish Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp + Garnish finely minced parsley
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 365-degrees. In a saucepan, over medium high heat, add 4 tbsp of butter. Once melted, whisk in flour until you create a roux. Continue to cook the roux for a couple of minutes on medium heat to cook out the flour.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk in the paprika and heavy cream. Once combined, add the onions and bring to a simmer. Make sure to stir often or the milk and cream will catch on the bottom of the pan and create clumps and possibly scorch the bottom of the sauce.
- Simmer on low heat until fully cooked and place on the back burner with a lid half covering the pan.
- Take the 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter, and melt in a pan over medium high heat. Add the kale and spinach in a batch at a time and stir once in a while so the greens begin to shrivel and cook down. Cover the pan and let sit on medium low until the kale and spinach are fully softened.
- Once the vegetables are soft, pour the cream sauce over the vegetables and fold into them. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix ½ c.Parmesan cheese into the creamed vegetables.
- Pour into an oven safe tray. Take remaining 2 tbsp of butter and melt on pan, add breadcrumbs until slightly colored, then pour into a mixing bowl and mix with remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season bread crumbs with slight salt and pepper.
- Layer on top of the creamed vegetables and bake for 10 minutes, then broil until the cheese is bubbling and the bread crumbs are golden brown. Garnish with more parsley and Parmesan if desired. Once done, cool for a bit and serve immediately.