Asparagus is often a go-to crunchy side for fish, and while it tastes fine steamed and buttered, our chefs are upping the ante this week in Pan Seared Atlantic Wild Salmon with Shishito Peppers & Veggie Stir Fry. Soy sauce, sesame oil, FIVE garlic cloves, ginger, scallions, and more add to the flavor profile.
- 2 filets Atlantic wild salmon
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided into 2 Tbsp
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds, garnish
- 2 Tbsp scallions (thinly sliced on the bias)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 yellow wax beans (trimmed and cut into thirds)
- 6 spears of asparagus (cut 1 inch from the bottom, then cut into thirds)
- 8 shishito peppers (sliced in half and cleaned)
- 1/2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Asian cooking wine
- 2 Tbsp of water
- Season the filets of salmon on both sides with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ground ginger, and onion powder.
- Grab a large non stick pan and heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat. When you see a little white smoke, place the salmon filet into the pan (presentation side facing up). Do not fiddle with the salmon or try to move it around. You should start to see a golden crisp edge creeping up the sides of the filet about 4 minutes in at this moment the fish should loosen up from the pan. Letting the filet sear untouched in hot oil creates the perfect, flavorful, golden crust that makes this dish restaurant quality. Try to not get any burnt or charred pieces in the pan by reducing the heat if needed.
- Using a fish spatula in one movement, scoop then flip the filet. Once you have flipped the filet, reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until done, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Once you have finished your fish, place it to the side on a plate and semi wrap to keep warm, but leave an opening to let the steam out so it will not continue to cook.
- Returning to the pan, set it to medium high and add the remaining vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant and slightly colored.
- Add the yellow wax beans, asparagus, and shishito peppers to the pan and saute until fork tender with a little water.
- Combine the sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, cooking wine, and remaining water and pour over the vegetables and cook until fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper, then plate the vegetables over the center of the plate, then place the salmon on top of the vegetables.
- Pour any reserve sauces from the vegetables over the salmon and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced scallions. Serve immediately and enjoy!