Summer rolls wrap crunchy veggies with a protein in rice paper. They’re light, refreshing, and tasty when dipped in sauce. Give them a try in Red Cabbage Summer Rolls with Pan Seared Atlantic Wild Salmon for an extra summery flair.
Ingredients (6-8 Rolls)
- ½ red cabbage, 6-8 large leaves
- Queen’s Greens Gemstone Mix
- 2 large pieces of atlantic wild salmon
- Smoked paprika
- 2 fresh Asian pears, cut julienned
- 1 c. brown rice, precooked and set
- ¾ c. broccoli, cut into small miniature florets
- 2 tomatoes, diced small
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 English cucumber, cut battonet
- Fresh cilantro, minced
- Red scallions, sliced thinly on a bias
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided into 2 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Note: To add additional flavor, try with your favorite salad dressing or sauce.
- Season salmon on both sides with salt and pepper, then rub smoked paprika on both sides.
- In a large saute pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil. Once you start to see white smoke, place the salmon filets presentation side down first. Pan sear for 4-5 minutes on medium high heat until you start to see the edges turn white. You don’t want to keep checking or fidgeting with the filet otherwise it may break or cook unevenly, but you may check every so often for that golden brown crisp color.
- Using a fish spatula, flip both filets and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. This side should cook faster than the first side. Once done, remove filets from the pan and keep partially covered to keep it warm.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and heat up, not too hot, and add the brown rice and broccoli, sauteing to reheat.
- Take one of your large red cabbage leaves and place it on a cutting board near you. Then take a pinch of the gemstone mix and place it on the red cabbage leaf to the nearest edge towards you. Take a tablespoon of the heated brown rice and broccoli and place it on top of the greens. Then, add the Asian pears, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and cilantro.
- Slice the two salmon filets and slice it into long strips, four strips per filet. Place the salmon strip on top of the vegetables and carefully roll up the edge nearest to you into a cone shape roll. Overlap the two edges into the middle and, using a decorative pick, place it down the middle of the roll.
- Garnish a plate with the remaining shredded carrots and some shredded cabbage. Place the rolls on top of the garnish and finish with a sprinkle of cilantro and scallions over the rolls. Serve with your favorite dressing or sauce such as balsamic vinaigrette, sweet ‘n sour, or raspberry vinaigrette.