For a more royal hue, Rootastes Summer Roasted Eggplant calls for the purply Italian Striped Eggplant alongside tomatoes, seasoning, and cheese. We call that amore! (Serves 4)
- 2 small Italian striped eggplant, cut long way into quarter strips
- 15 oz of diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Minced parsley, for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking in pan
- ¼ c. ground Parmesan cheese
- ¼ c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, yellow onion, garlic, dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut the vine top off of the eggplants and then cut into quarters the long way.
- On a casserole dish or baking tray that is oven safe, lightly brush on extra virgin olive oil and lay the eggplant down on to the tray, then drizzle olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Taking a spoon and scooping up the tomato sauce, pour it over the eggplant to cover. Place into the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes until the eggplant is fork tender and the sauce is hot.
- While cooking the eggplant, in a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, mozzarella, garlic powder, onion powder, melted butter and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Then, cover the eggplant with the bread crumb mixture and roast it for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread crumbs are golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately in the pan, or transfer to serving dishes.