If you’re ready to jump right in (or you’re a seasoned enjoyer of kohlrabi), give Steamed White Wine Pollock with Kohlrabi-Apple Slaw a try. The pollock is baked with summer squash and apricot slices while the slaw is dressed with pomegranate juice, mustard, spices, and more. (We could eat it on its own!)
- 1 lb. pollock
- 1 yellow squash, cut into thin coins
- 1 apricot, seeded and cut into 8-10 portions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 oz white wine
- 2-3 bulbs kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into matchsticks
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced fine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate or orange juice
- 1 tsp honey or white sugar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees, and clean and cut all the produce. Using parchment paper (if you have it; you can also use foil, but increase the cooking time by 3-5 minutes) seal off one end, leaving the other side open.
- Salt and pepper the pollock on each side, then cover it with the summer squash and the apricot slices. Pour in the wine, then carefully seal off the other side, trying to make it as airtight as possible (while leaving the smallest vent in the very top of the vessel).
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, (more if using foil), then remove from the oven and let rest until you’re ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Combine the juice, honey, mustard, a little more salt and pepper, and whisk, slowly drizzling in the olive oil until the dressing is loose but set.
- Combine the kohlrabi, apples, pomegranate, and parsley and stir, adding a small amount of the dressing right before you’re ready to serve.
- Open and serve the pollock over the slaw and enjoy!